Thursday, December 3, 2009

New Project : 5687 tube preamplifier from diyparadise.

I have been fascinated by tube amp for a long time. What prohibits me from owning one is the PRICE! Had a chance to own one tubed headphone amplifier(Made In China product). It was 'okay' and I sold it soon afterwards as it runs too bloody HOT, could surely cook and egg (or two!)

A recent 'groupbuy' was initiated in one of the threads in lowyat.net forum and that rekindled the 'burning' fascination for tube amps that I ordered 2 sets of 5687 and 6X4 for the project! I read about a simple 5687 preamplifier awhile back. Link at the end of the page.


This is the 6X4 rectifier tubes made by National. Was on sale for USD9.95 at tubedepot.



The 5687 preamp tube made by Tung Sol, also on sale for USD9.95 from tubedepot.

Now I got to get the rest of the components.. The bulk of it will the the power transformer.. Will be going to Jalan Pasar this saturday to order a custom made tranny, having 350-0-350 and 6.3 secondary voltages...
my other worry would be the chokes which is part of the power supply.. 

Details of the project is here.

More later...


No comments: