Wednesday, June 17, 2009

History of my speakers - Part II


Next come the B&W DM23.
It was on sale at Peat's Electronics.. Having checked that it actually cheaper that the UK price equivalent, I grabbed the chance. Either it's on sale or wrong price tag placed(happened before on some other items). It was the only pair at the shop! Owning the B&W is like owning a BMW! I was kinda proud of achieving such a 'high' audio standard with this speakers.. Compared to the 'tiny' Ditton 100, this speaker is really monsterous! So is the sound!

I have heard and tested other British made speakers, not that they are not good, they somewhat did not satisfied my 'taste'... I did found another pair later but let's keep that for part III! ;)

The Ditton 100 was sold to a friend for a mere 40 Irish pounds.. (I got it for 80 pounds)
With 3 way crossover network and 'huge' bass driver and a bass reflex port, I could give the Celef Studio One a run for the money! (The Celef was only a 2 way speaker but with infinite baffle design) I would blast away on sundays until my amp was really hot that I could fry an egg on it.. well not fry but enough to warm my hands in winter...! :D
Still a 'bookshelf' albeit it's size, it needs a proper stand to realise it's full potential. I made my own DIY stand for it now it sings like never before.. the bass was 'delicious' with vocals and highs superb to my likings... I was in bliss for the time being.
By this time I have already upgraded by turntable to Dunlop Systemdek II, with an AT30e MC cartridge. The amp have been 'upgraded' to Technics SU-V4K bought 'cheaply' from a friend who got it from Singapore...

As happy as I am, still something is still 'missing' which I could not put my finger on.. I live on this setup for about a year until...

Note: again the pix is not of the actual speakers owned by me but from a website.. ;)

No comments: