Monday, August 3, 2009

Headphone amplifier using TDA2822M

The kit with all components installed.. 'standard' stuffs without any exotic components.. we'll 'see' how it performs later.. Have checked the datasheet. Not bad data and performance figures... if you check ebay, there's a headphone amp kit using the same IC!


The amp powered by a 9V PP3 battery, powering up the first time and using a SONY's PCDP as the sound source. The trimmer pot is shown there installed on the board.. more like a preset to me than volume control! Have to check if I have a spare dual/stereo 10K pot to be used as a volume control (checked, I have!)...


Was on leave today.. and feeling a little 'bored' and nothing interesting to watch on TV, went through my spare parts stuffs and I found a 1W stereo amplifier kit that I have bought 'eons' ago but not built for unknown reasons.. well one reason actually, I have no use of it, yet! Meant for 'bench amp' I decided if it's good enough to drive my Sennheiser's HD201.

Conclusions

I have been listening to it now (housed in a proper casing), which took about an hour to do. Total listening sessions is about 5 hours... just the Sony's CDP as the source (did connect to my notebook for a while). Will update with the finished product soon.

After using a shielded cable for the input connections, a slight hiss which was noticeable earlier during testing has somewhat gone.. very good bass, imaging and depth.. midrange(voice) was breathtaking (Diana Krall CDs) and highs were very well reproduced without overboosting too much.. which should minimized fatigue on extended listening session. At the time of writing I am still listening to it.

All in all.. this would be the best bang per buck headamp! The kit is cheap and listening satisfaction is fantabulous! Two thumbs up. I had a great monday this week... ;)

No comments: