Sunday, July 26, 2009

VSPS - Quick Update!


Have been burning in the 'new' VSPS for a couple of hours now.. A slightly better and more 'round' sound now as it's using better caps at the power supply side (the Nichicon MUSE).
Major surprise at few hours ago when junior suggested me to replace the current stock opamp, the NE5532, to LT1361 which he 'wrongly' bought..

Initial listening, I did detect some improvements in the low end(bass) department. After few hours has lapse it is apparent now that the bass especially mid and lower bass is much more tighter! Gone now are the 'woolly' bass of the NE5532... and the mid and treble are much more clearer as in more details are being heard. It is now as if I have a different/new set of LPs that I am playing!
Listening now at wee hours past midnight(0130 hrs to be exact) it is apparent to me now that this opamp has improved the VSPS SQ in leaps and bounds!
The imaging is more vivid with an equally improved depth and ambience.. The overall PRaT is totally awesome! I simply could not believe that it's the same vinyl that I have spinning for 25 years!

Conclusion:

Swapping the NE5532 with the LT1361 is making the difference to the sound like day and night!
The best part is, the LT1361 can be acquired for FREE!
Best bang per buck upgrade ever..
Excuse me now.. gotta get more vinyls for tonite.. looks like I'm gonna loose some sleep this weekend.. ;)

No comments: