Thursday, January 21, 2010

Cables,interconnects,plugs,sockets, do they make any difference?

This has been going on for ages! Some are a believer and spend a lot of 'mullahs' investing into the above tweaking and squeezing to get the last ounce/gram of 'perfection'.. I am not going to prove it or otherwise but of late I see no harm in  investing a few 'mullahs' just to see(hear) if there are differences.. I use differences here they may not amount to improvements at all! Any changes that satisfy my sonic needs will be classified as improvements..

I started awhile back by using/making my own speaker cables.. a really heavy gaged 14AWG conductor cables.. with a good high quality banana plugs I have compared with a commercial branded speaker cables.. I liked mine best!

I have made my own digital coax cables for my CD transport.. mini-to-mini cables for my headamp and headphones.. to name but a few.. but I want to draw your attention to my latest findings..


Based on some discussions in an audio thread in a local forum, I invested in a high quality MK 3-pin plug. The fuse is silver plated so are the fuse holders.. the wires in the plug are held by very solid binding posts!

I wasn't expecting much but the first half hour I begin to detect a very minor changes... microdynamics has 'improved' somewhat.. the low end is well rounded and the mid bass was really in focus! Midband/range is slightly projected and its kinda rough and edgy with a rough edge.. top end was some what well define but still within control.. as the minutes and hours ticked by, the rough edges has been trimmed somewhat.. I noticed the PRAT has somewhat picked up.. and I am not used to such a high speed.... I like my music slow and mellow..

Still in the mood of 'fine tuning', I took out the silver plated bussman fuse and replaced it with a 'no-name' fuse.. To my amazement, that has somewhat tamed the midband, polished and pushed back a little bit of the midband projection, still I am not satisfied... bear in mind, I am a bass head and liked my music relaxed.
The source of my music was my favourite CD: Sadao Watanabe- How's Everything. LIVE at Budokan. I have been listening to this album since 1980, and believe me I know every beat/note in every song! A SONY CD player was used feeding my DIY STK hybrid amp, powering my favourite speakers of all time, RTL3 made by TDL Electronics. A transmission line speakers that I am in love with and never looked back since!
Reviews here: RTL3 Review


I am going to give it a few hours to 'settle down' and may look into changing the 'normal' mains cable into something that was recommended in the threads..

Will update soon... Happy listening guys!

No comments: